Quite recently we have had a few strikes around the country, so that made me think: how many of us are disaster prepared and have survival kits for our pets? If you had to leave quickly home or the power or roads were out, how would you manage what? It can be a stress-inducing time for all, including our animals.
We have compiled together a list of the basic items that you will need for your pets.
- Remember to bring enough water for a week.
- Purchase some canned food and before many of you throw up their hands in horror and say: “I am not feeding this”. Canned food has a higher water content so it will reduce the amount of water your pet will require. N’ forget to include a can opener in your kit. Keep in mind if you are feeding a total diet of dry foods.
- Affidavits and proof of ownership, ID tags, papers etc.
- Leads / Collars and some form of portable containment
- First Aid Kits
- If your pet is on any medication, ensure that you have enough, so stock up
- Contact Lists, boarding kennels, friends, vets, etc.
- Playsets, blankets, anything that makes your pet happy.
- You should have bowls for food and water, but it could be worth it to buy some portable bowls.
Of course this is a basic essential kit list, but you might wish to add more to your own pet survival kit.